Apprenticeships are work-based learning schemes that allow you to gain nationally recognised qualifications while earning money. They are a great way to kick-start your career in the vibrant active leisure, learning and well-being sector.
There is a range of intermediate level and advanced level Apprenticeships available in the sector, covering sport, fitness, playwork, caravans, the outdoors, and hair and beauty.
Apprenticeships usually take between 12 and 24 months to complete, depending on the type and level of Apprenticeship. Anyone aged over 16 and not in full-time education can apply.
Key benefits for individuals:
- Join a vibrant, growing sector with great long-term prospects
- Earn a salary while you learn
- Gain high-quality experience for your CV
- Accrue industry and nationally recognised qualifications
Career opportunities with Apprenticeships
Apprenticeships provide an entry point into many jobs in the active leisure, learning and wellbeing sector. Find out what exciting careers you could get into with Apprenticeships with SkillsActive Careers.
Types of Apprenticeships
There’s a wide variety of Apprenticeships available in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Select a country below to learn more about the types of Apprenticeships available in your area.
Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (AASE)
The Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (AASE) is SkillsActive's flagship sporting qualification for young people in England and Wales. It is designed for people with the realistic potential to achieve excellent in their sport, either by competing on the world stage or securing a professional contract.
Record your Apprenticeship training online
Keep track of the training, qualifications and work experience you accrue during your Apprenticeship with an activepassport™
activepassport™ is a verified online record that enables you to prove to employers you possess the right skills, training, and experience. What’s more, you can convert it into a professional looking CV.|
If you’re an individual, activepassport™ can:
- Provide you with a recognised online record of qualifications, personal achievements, professional achievements, training courses attended, and any voluntary work
- Create a professional CV that will be tailored to every job you apply for
- Identify training opportunities and potential career pathways
- Help you achieve your goals with its built-in ‘Personal Development Planner’
- Remind you about skills and qualifications that are expiring or need updating.
Over 20,000 people in the UK currently have an activepassport™, and more than 40 UK sport and leisure CEOs representing 70% of the workforce have signed a skills protocol, committing they will work towards their employees holding and maintaining an activepassport™ as standard.
To get your activepassport™, simply become an ActiveOnline user.
Become an apprentice!
SkillsActive can help those looking for an active, rewarding career find the right training programme to get started!
Alternatively, find apprenticeship opportunities in your area by browsing the vacancies section of the National Apprenticeship Service.