SAFE is a strategic group made up of leading sport and fitness employers, managed in partnership with the Fitness Industry Association (FIA). It exists to provide leadership and direction in policy areas concerned with workforce development across this sector, and specifically to:
- Ensure sector related qualifications are fit for purpose, and facilitate the professionalisation of the industry.
- Oversee the development of sector national occupational standards.
- Influence and inform public sector funding policy and practice through initiatives such as the Growth and Innovation Fund, the Employer Investment Fund, research initiatives and agreeing a strategy for the development of sector-based qualifications.
- Support the continuing development of the Register of Exercise Professionals as an industry-accepted 'license to practice'.
- Support and facilitate effective partnerships across the sector.
There is employer representation from the Trust (SPORTA), Contractor (LMCA), Local Authority (CLOA) and Private Operator (FIA) sectors. National Governing Bodies of sport are also represented. SAFE meets 4 times a year, and the management of the group is undertaken jointly by SkillsActive and the Fitness Industry Association.