SkillsActive is funded by Sport England to support national governing bodies of sport (NGBs) to deliver the workforce development commitments in their 09/13 plans.
SkillsActive’s team of Account Managers work directly with NGBs to embed more highly skilled and qualified people into their sporting infrastructure. This ensures they have the right people with the right skills to develop their sport at a club, county and regional level.
With a strong regional presence, SkillsActive has developed expertise on local policy and skills provision and can capitalise on funding available in each area.
The Sport England funding enables SkillsActive’s relationship managers to meet NGB training and workforce needs by providing them with the following support:
- Deliver solutions to meet the training and workforce needs in direct support of NGB 09-13 Plans
- Provide technical expertise on qualifications, workforce development and employment pathways
- Design and deliver specific support and bespoke solutions to NGB developed interventions for increasing and sustaining participation through networks of volunteers and staff
- Provide technical expertise and solutions in support of NGBs and their talent pathways
- Broker partnership arrangements between fitness/leisure operators and NGBs to grow adult participation and ensure the leisure/fitness workforce is skilled to deliver
- Provide specific lobbying support to a given NGB on specific skills issues
- Ensure NGBs are up to date on relevant major skills policy developments
- Provide NGBs with quarterly briefings on general skills and policy developments
- Engage sport and NGBs in Local Enterprise Partnerships where applicable
- Broker funding to upskill the sporting workforce and ensure NGBs are able to access these funds
- SportsForce Spring 2012
- SportsForce Summer 2011
- SportsForce Autumn 2011
- SportsForce Winter 2012
- SportsForce Summer 2012
To read about our current work with the FA click here.
SkillsActive’s wider sector partnerships
SkillsActive's work with NGBs is complimented by our wider engagement with employers and national partners. We facilitate two key groups:
- The Sport and Fitness Employer Group (SAFE) is SkillsActive’s lead employer group consisting of members from the private, local authority, trust, contractor sectors and NGBs. Delivered in partnership with the Fitness Industry Association, it is responsible for setting the strategic direction of SkillsActive’s work supporting employer ambition and growth.
- The National Partners Forum brings together SkillsActive’s national partners in sport and focuses on standards, qualifications, endorsement and funding. The group works across coaching, sports development, activity leadership, governance, performance sport, leisure operations and management, officiating, and club volunteers.
Click here for more information on how SkillsActive wish to engage with NGBs during the 2013-17 Period.