The work based learning pathway (WBLP) in sports management, leadership and coaching is a fantastic opportunity for students aged 14-16 in Wales to experience hands-on learning within the sport and active leisure sector.
The WBLP provides practical learning and invaluable experience of what it’s like to work in a real-life business. Links have been established with different employers around Wales to give young people the opportunity to combine their normal academic studies with a blend of vocational qualifications and extended work experience.
Young people following a WBLP will still study vitally important ‘core’ subjects at school, including maths, English, Welsh, ICT and science. However their time will be divided between schoolwork, practical training and work experience.
Please note that funding for all Work Based Learning Pathways has been withdrawn from July 2011. Therefore there are no future opportunities for young people to access this programme.
A range of publications offering guidance to young people, parents, employers and agencies have been produced and are available below.
Information for young people and parents/guardians
- Work based learning pathways - sports management. leadership and coaching pathway
- Work based learning pathways - parents guide
- Work based learning pathways - young peoples guide
- Work based learning pathways - young people and parents Q&A
Information for employers and agencies
- Work based learning pathways - employers guide
- Work based learning pathways - employers Q&A
- Work based learning pathways - referral agencies guide